So this one’s a little obvious, but it’s Friday, so it’s time to take it easy a little.
Make sure you drink enough water, and then maybe drink some more water. Some people have this in the bag, and if you do, good for you, because this is like one of the cheapest things you can do in fitnessing. But for some people, it isn’t as natural. Here are all of the times you should drink water:
- First thing when you wake up. Drink a full glass of water. Your body is dehydrated — it just went HOURS with NO WATER because SOMEONE was too busy SLEEPING. Your brain needs it to start functioning, and your body needs it to start moving. Drink one glass of water before you do anything else.
- Before you work out. You should drink a glass or two, because your body is going to sweat all that shit out, and you need to keep it sustained. If you’re like me, drinking water DURING your workout feels not so awesome, so stock up beforehand.
- After you work out. Duh. You just lost all that water. Drink another full glass.
- Anytime you’re thirsty. Any other beverage will have extra calories or sugars that, in my opinion, are better put to use eating. So don’t waste it on a soda or glass of juice. If you need a pick me up, get a club soda with a lemon or lime wedge. Bubbles are usually all you need to do the job. Or coffee, which….go for it. There is no substitute for coffee.
- Anytime you’re hungry. A lot of people confuse hunger and thirst, so if you think you’re hungry during the day, have a glass of water first, then wait 10 minutes. If you still feel hungry, eat something. If you don’t, congratulations. You just saved calories and money.
- In between alcoholic beverages. We’ve talked about this before; there are several reasons you should drink water while you drink alcohol. It prevents you from getting drunk too fast (which will prevent drunk-eating-nachos) and since taking water breaks means you are unable to have alcohol constantly flowing down your throat, you’re drinking less alcohol in general, so again, less calories.
This might seem small, but keeping hydrated goes a long way towards staying healthy. Your skin needs it, your nails need it, your hair needs it, your body needs it, and your brain needs it. Just this one thing has SO MANY BENEFITS for SO MANY THINGS. This is so basic you guys. Drank that water.