Alright everybody it’s time to get real here. We can talk all we want about eating smart barbecue foods and getting through happy hour, but if we aren’t working out regularly, then we are not fitnessing.
If you’ve been reading (and you guys, I get mostly repeat visitors, so I know you have), then you are well aware that chillin on the elliptical for 45 minutes is not going to give you the best results. You need to work with varying your heart rate, adding weights, and changing up your routine. So, here’s another Werkout to help add some variety to your weekly routine.
Get some heavy ass weights with this, cause burning more calories rocks. I’m talking 12 – 15 pounds. You got this.
- 1 minute jumping jacks
- 1 minute high knees running in place
- 1 minute butt kicks running in place
- 20 reverse alternating lunges with a bicep curl (20 on each leg). Step your leg back and lower your knee almost to the ground as you curl the weights up from your elbows, then bring your leg to back to standing as you release the weight down slowly again. Do the same with the opposite leg. That counts as ONE you guys. No cheats.
- 10 burpees. You know how those go.
- 20 weighted squats. Use this time to catch your breath, don’t take a break after those burpees. Don’t you dare. I’ll follow you home. Hold the weights at your sides, let your arms hang with them.
- 15 plank pushups. Start in a plank on your elbows, then raise one palm, and push yourself into the top of a pushup position with your hand underneath your shoulder, then bring the other palm underneath your other shoulder. Then lower your starting arm back down so you’re on your forearms again, with your elbows over your shoulders. That’s one. Here’s a total bro illustrating it for you.
- 20 chest flies. Use those big heavy weights you had earlier. Lay on your back, knees up and feet on the floor, with your palms facing each other, keep your elbows slightly bent, and open your arms into a wide V. Exhale as you slowly bring them towards each other again.
- 15 leg raises. Use those same weights in your hands to anchor your elbows against the ground as you bring your legs as close to parallel with the ground as you can without letting your lower back rise off the floor. Then exhale as you bring those straight-as-hell legs back up to 90 degrees from the floor.
Do three sets of the circuit if you took my advice and went heavy with your weight. If you went with 5 – 8 pound weights, do four sets (YOU BROUGHT THIS ON YOURSELF). Take a minute break between each set (an actual 60 seconds, not like four minutes).
Everything but the burpees should be very slow, deliberate, and controlled. When working with heavier weights, controlled movements are your best friends — they’ll help you make the most out of your workouts. Don’t worry about going fast to get your heart rate up; when you add weights to these moves it jacks up your heart rate pretty quickly. Going fast will just diminish the benefits of adding resistance to your muscles. No one wants LESS BENEFITS. If you concentrate on your form, this workout will work out your whole damn body.
After you do 3 (or 4) sets, drink a shit ton of water cause it is HOT outside.
Now you are a fitness monster, ready to attack your day.